It’s December, which in Britain means beer, beer, and more beer. Fish and chips at least once a week is standard. So I decided to combine my love for beer and battered then fried food, with a vegan spin. Welcome to beer battered vegan tofish.
- 1 pack of firm tofu 400 grams (0.88 pounds)
- 1 cup of spelt flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea/pink salt
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (optional)
- 1.5 cups (12 ounces) of chilled beer (or soda water)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (4 ounces)
- 1 sheet of nori (sushi wrap)
- Vegetable oil
- Drain and press the tofu. Its important to get most of the water out.
- Once drained cut corner to corner to get two triangles.
- Now slice the in half so you have four triangles.
- Pour the soy sauce in a bowl and dip in the tofu triangles.
- Allow to marinate while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl add the flours, salt, garlic and baking powder.
- Mix together with a fork or hand whisk.
- Pour in the beer and whisk until you have a thick batter.
- You want the batter to be thick enough to stick to the tofu.
- If it's too thin add a little more flour and whisk again.
- Set aside.
- Quarter fill a frying pan with oil and turn the heat up to full.
- Deep fat frying can be dangerous so do not leave the pan unattended.
- Prepare the tofu while the oil heats up.
- Remove the tofu from the soy sauce and place on the nori sheet.
- The seaweed gives the tofu a fishy taste and is like the skin on real fish.
- Using a sharp knife or scissors cut around the tofu so the nori sits on one side.
- Do this with all four pieces.
- After a few minutes the oil will start to bubble.
- Drop a small bit of batter into the oil to check the heat. It should bubble, go golden brown and crispy. When it does this your oil is ready.
- Keeping the nori sheet on top put the tofu in the batter and cover.
- Gently drop into the oil and do the same with the rest of the tofu.
- Let it fry for 3 minutes then flip over & cook the other side for a minute or two.
- Place the tofish on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve immediately with a slice of lemon, chips, peas and tartare sauce
This recipe was republished with permission from Aaron Calder Vegan.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!