If you’re as obsessed as we are with Chipotle’s sofritas, made of perfectly-crumbled, spicily-seasoned tofu, maybe you’ve tried to dupe it at home. But what you probably haven’t done is level-up your sofritas beyond a plain tortilla up to a glorious taco bowl that wins any lunch.
That’s okay, because we’re here to teach you how. This recipe will guide you through sauteing the sofritas with a homemade chipotle chili sauce and assembling the bowl. If you have vegan sour cream on hand, adorn your beautiful bowl with its creamy goodness—but you can top this with whatever you have on hand, from avocados to seasonal veggies. When in doubt, add more tortilla chips. Happy scooping!
Chipotle-Style Sofritas Taco Bowls
- 1 green pepper
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce (canned)
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from the same can as the chipotle chilis)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence, or mixed dried herbs (UK)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounce block firm tofu (not silken firm tofu)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce (or any other lettuce you like)
- ¼ cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber (or any small cucumber), diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- Sliced scallions and tortilla chips, to serve
Roast the green pepper in the oven or over a gas stovetop until charred. Cut out the stem and core before putting it in a food processor or blender.
Add the chipotle chilis, adobo sauce, red onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, half a cup of vegetable stock, cumin, dried herbs and salt. Process until smooth and then set aside while you prepare the tofu.
Press the tofu firmly between two paper towels to remove any excess liquid.
Crumble the tofu into small chunks and set aside in a bowl.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frypan over high heat before adding the crumbled tofu. Cook for five to seven minutes until the tofu is golden in color.
Add the sauce and combine well while still cooking over a high heat.
After a few minutes, reduce the heat and add the remaining half a cup of vegetable stock. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Line one edge of each bowl with romaine lettuce leaves and then add your red cabbage, tomato and cucumber in sections, leaving a gap for your sofritas.
Fill the gap with sofritas and top with avocado, vegan sour cream, scallions and tortilla chips before serving.