A South African favourite goes global! We topped a creamy polenta with charred boerewors and a roasted red pepper salsa.
Boerewors with Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
- 1 package Fry’s Family The Big Fry Boerie
- 1 tablespoon 15 milliliters olive oil
- 2 tablespoons 30 milliliters vegan BBQ sauce (optional)
Red peper salsa
- 2 large red peppers, cored, deseeded, and quartered
- 3 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons 45 grams olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons 30 grams cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 15 milliliters red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams chilli flakes (optional)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup 250 grams polenta, cooked following package instructions (see Chef’s Notes)
- Plant-based parmesan-style cheese, grated, for garnish (optional)
In a large frying pan or cast iron griddle over medium-high heat, add oil and The Big Fry Boeries. Fry, turning often, until golden brown all over, about 8 minutes.
During the last 2 minutes of cooking, brush with BBQ sauce (optional).
RED PEPPER SALSA
Preheat the oven to broil on high heat. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions. Drizzle with olive oil to coat and season with salt and black pepper.
Lay vegetables in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until the bell peppers are charred and the tomatoes and onions are starting to char, flipping them over once.
Carefully transfer the bell peppers into a sealable plastic bag to steam for 10 minutes. Once cooled, use hands to peel the skin off the bell peppers and discard.
Roughly chop the bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions. Transfer into a medium bowl.
Stir in the garlic, cilantro, brown sugar, vinegar, cumin coriander, chili flakes, and the zest and juice of lime. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve The Big Fry Boeries with polenta and top with red pepper salsa. Sprinkle with cheese (optional).
When cooking the polenta, use vegetable stock instead of water for more flavor. Once cooked, fold in a little vegan butter or mild olive oil for added richness.