This is a personal-sized puff pastry filled with creamy sauce, meat, and veg. It is the type of thing people think they will never be able to eat again when going plant-based. But actually, it’s easy to “plantify.” My version stays pretty true to the original, otherwise my grandmother would disapprove. But you probably don’t have a Danish granny, so feel free to jazz it up. This works with mushrooms, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli, and most veggies. Feel free to experiment!
- 1 package LikeMeat Like Chicken Bites
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 packages store-bought vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots, washed and finely diced
- 1 cup 135 grams peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 480 milliliters plant-based milk of your choice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon curly parsley, finely chopped
- Curly parsley, finely chopped
- Chives, finely chopped
- Store-bought pickled red onion
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
Roll puff pastry dough out on a clean surface and cut into 12 4-by-4-inch squares. Press each dough square into the muffin cups. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before filling.
Heat a medium pan over medium heat and add olive oil, onion, and Like Chicken Bites. Fry until the onion is soft and translucent and the Like Chicken Bites are heated through, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the carrots and peas. Reduce heat to the lowest setting.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in flour until heated through and thoroughly combined. It will become a thick, sticky dough-like consistency.
Slowly drizzle in milk, whisking until the sauce is fully combined and thickens.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in the lemon juice.
Pour the sauce over the Like Chicken Bites and vegetable mixture. Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper, if needed.
Spoon the filling evenly into each pastry cup. Garnish with parsley, chives, and pickled red onion.
Make sure that the puff pastries are large enough to make twelve 4-by-4-inch squares.
Special Equipment: 12-cup muffin pan