These plant-based sausages get special toppings: quick-pickled cabbage, red onions, and cucumbers. The beer-battered onion rings are surprisingly easy to make and the perfect crunchy accompaniment to the hot dogs.
LikeMeat Hot Dogs with Onion Rings
- 1 package of LikeMeat Like Smoked Sausage, cooked according to package instructions
- 4 hot dog rolls, warmed, to serve
- Sweet mustard, to serve
- Chives, finely chopped, to serve
- 1 1/4 cups 300 milliliters vinegar
- 1 cup 200 grams sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup 200 grams red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
Beer-battered onion rings
- Neutral oil, for deep frying
- 5 ounces 150 milliliters very cold beer
- 7 ounces 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 1.7 ounces 50 grams cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups 200 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams salt
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch rings
In a small pot over medium heat, add vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
In three separate small bowls, add cabbage, cucumbers, and onions. Gently pour pickling liquid over each vegetable. Use a spoon to stir and coat vegetables with pickling liquid.
BEER-BATTERED ONION RINGS
In a large pot over medium heat, add oil to come about 1 inch up the sides. Heat oil to 180°C/350°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk beer, flour, and cornstarch.
In a separate medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs and salt.
Dredge onion rings in beer batter, allowing it to drip off as much as possible.
Coat with breadcrumbs, gently pressing with hands to adhere.
Fry until golden brown.
Place sausages in hotdog rolls. Top with pickled veggies, sweet mustard, and chives. Serve with onion rings.