Laotian larb can be found all throughout Southeast Asia. It’s often referred to as a “meat salad” and with this meatless “plantified” version, we could simply call it a salad, especially when served in lettuce wraps. I’ve included a recipe for a vegan fish sauce that provides so much depth to this dish. Feel free to use a store-bought version, soy sauce, tamari, or mushroom soy sauce.
Laotian Larb Wraps
- 1 package LikeMeat Like Mince
Vegan fish sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 3 whole sheets nori or a combination of dried kelp, dulse, or kombu
- 1 tablespoon red miso
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, for frying
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves removed, bruised, and finely chopped (tender parts only)
- 1-2 fresh or frozen (not dry) makrut lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan fish sauce, plus more to serve
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai or sweet basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 fresh Thai chili, seeded (optional) and thinly sliced
- 8 salad leaves (mini romaine, purple cabbage, or endive), rinsed
VEGAN FISH SAUCE
In a small pot over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons water, soy sauce, nori, miso, and sugar. Cover and bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature without uncovering.
Strain and store in the refrigerator.
In a large pan over medium heat, toast the rice without oil until lightly browned and fragrant. Some might even pop like popcorn.
Grind the toasted rice into a coarse powder using a mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, or food processor. Feel free to toast and grind a bigger batch of rice and store for when you want to make this again.
In the same pan over medium heat, add the sesame oil and Like Mince and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion, lemongrass, and lime leaves. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the vegan fish sauce and lime juice. Remove pan from heat.
Stir in the toasted rice powder, mint, basil, and chili.
Divide the larb among the salad leaves and drizzle with vegan fish sauce to serve, if desired.
Special Equipment: mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, or food processor