This recipe proves that a bolognese doesn’t have to be meaty to be flavor-packed, tomato-y, and delicious. We leaned on Fry’s Pea Protein Mince to make this plant-based bolognese.
Plant-Based Bolognese with Salsa Verde
- 1 package Fry’s Pea Protein Mince
- 2 tablespoons 30 milliliters olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons 30 milliliters tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce 1 410-gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons 30 milliliters soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon 15 milliliters red wine vinegar
- 1 cup 250 milliliters vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons 10 grams sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup 60 grams Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup 60 grams fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams capers, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons 30 milliliters red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup 125 milliliters olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 10.5 ounces 300 grams dried spaghetti, cooked
In a medium pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook until they start to brown and soften, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic, rosemary, and tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add Fry’s Pea Protein Mince, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, vegetable stock, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low to simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, add parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, chives, capers, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and zest and juice of limes. Stir well and season with salt and black pepper to taste. For a smoother consistency, blend (without the capers) until smooth in a blender (and then add the capers).
Serve bolognese over cooked spaghetti and top with salsa verde.
Special Equipment: blender (optional)