I’ve been holding off sharing this Cheezy Vegan Broccoli Soup recipe because I kept forgetting to shoot photos. This is a recipe I usually make in large batches and directly store in the freezer, so I kept going into autopilot.
I finally remembered to style and shoot some soup photos this week, so I’m excited to finally share this creamy, (vegan) cheezy, comforting bowl of soup. It’s perfect for chillier months and packed with broccoli (of course) but made without any dairy, gluten or oil.
I don’t know about you, but I love broccoli, and as I kid, I also loved cheese. Together, they were a winning couple, and although I liked my broccoli bare, I know that cheese on top of broccoli is a parenting 101 trick to get kids to eat their veggies. If broccoli isn’t your jam though, I guarantee you’ll still enjoy this soup because you can blend it into the soup as smoothly as you’d like.
The main flavour is a savoury, cheesy flavour brought to you by our friend, nutritional yeast, which actually packs a protein punch too! The cashews add the creaminess, and miso adds a little umami plus some probiotics for gut health. The soup also contains potato, which adds to the creaminess without having to go all out on cashews, but you can also opt to use cauliflower as a substitute if potatoes don’t digest well for you.
I highly recommend topping this soup with some shredded vegan cheese like cheddar or parmesan, some extra cracked black pepper, and if you have it on hand, some roasted broccoli. As always, you can adjust the salt and pepper to your liking, and even add more nutritional yeast if you’d like! The beauty of the blending is that it’s really easy to modify.
A creamy, cheezy, vegan broccoli soup. Easy, healthy, quick and delicious made without dairy, gluten or oil.
- 1 head of broccoli or about 2 cups of florets (lightly steamed)
- 2 tablespoons cashews soaked
- 1/2 small onion
- 1.5 cup diced potato (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup carrots (4 ounces)
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 3-4 cups veggie broth (24-32 ounces)
- 4-5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon miso paste (optional, but recommended)
- 1 bay leaf
- handful of vegan cheese shreds
- Soak cashews for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Alternatively, you can boil them in hot water to do this a little more quickly.
- Sauté onion over medium heat in a large pot with a little veggie broth or oil if desired.
- Next add potato and carrots, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, veggie broth and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Optional: add your bay leaf while simmering as well, but be sure to remove it before blending.
- Let cook covered for about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender (poke with a fork to check!).
- Transfer all ingredients to blender, along with nutritional yeast, paprika, miso paste and soaked cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Finally, toss in your broccoli florets and pulse until desired texture is achieved. Pulse longer for smoother consistency, or blend completely if you prefer. If you find the texture too thick for your taste, feel free to lighten up by adding additional veggie broth.
- Top with roasted broccoli florets, vegan cheese if desired (really nice when it’s melted in), salt and pepper to taste and optional vegan yogurt for garnish.
If you like this recipe and are warming up to, or already are a fully-fledged vegan cheese fanatic, check out this raw vegan cheese recipe. It might well elevate your bagel game. Then, see vegan mac and cheese recipes better than the real thing.
This recipe was republished with permission from Remy Park / Veggiekins Blog.