Indulge in a rich and decadent gluten-free dessert tart, with a slightly bitter taste from the dark chocolate complemented by a sour kick from the cherry jam. This mouth-watering tart is perfect for dinner parties or a lunchtime treat. I wanted to make the ultimate chocolate tart with a healthy pastry crust. White flour and refined sugar are a no-go zone, so I used brown rice and buckwheat gluten-free flour. This is a much healthier alternative. A small amount of coconut sugar and raw cacao powder makes this crust taste a lot like a bourbon biscuit with a similar texture.
Decadent Vegan Chocolate and Cherry Dessert Tart
- 150 grams gluten-free flour
- 70 grams vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 2.5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 100 grams dark vegan chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, cacao and salt together.
- Add the chilled butter and mix until you have pea-sized crumbs.
- Add the ice cold water and mix (use your hands) until it forms a ball. Do not overmix.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry about 1cm thick.
- Cut around an 8-inch pastry tin and place the pastry in the base of the tin.
- Add the rest of the pastry pressing down evenly and around the edges to from a crust.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for half an hour.
- Once the base is cool, add a thin layer of cherry jam and freeze for half an hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a Bain Marie on a low heat (or a double boiler) and add the vanilla and coconut cream.
- Once the chocolate has melted whisk until you have a gorgeous thick creamy liquid.
- Remove the base from the freezer (still in the tin) and pour in the chocolate mixture.
- Gently tap the sides of the tin to remove any bubbles.
- Allow the tart to set in the freezer for around one hour.
- Keep the tart in the fridge and serve chilled. I decorated the top with freeze dried raspberries.
This recipe was republished with permission from Aaron Calder Vegan.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!