[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.0.62″ background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” border_style=”solid”]
I love dessert, sweet things, recipe creating (or recipe following if I’m feeling uninspired) and baking more than the average person, I believe love of eating is a passionate hobby and I definitely spend way more time in the kitchen than is healthy… My favourite part is doing what I call, ‘lick the shit out of those appliances’! What can I say, I make most things by taste! But when you cook (eat) as much as me, creating food that is not only hella delicious but nourishing too is key!
Vegan, raw, gluten free, soy free, salt free, butter free and refined sugar free. “So what’s left, then?”
This decadent triple layer raw slice has the perfect balance of coconut base to ooey-gooey caramel and is finished with a rich, dark chocolate layer, however, this recipe is versatile and forgiving; you can mix and match flavours and quantities to suit your preference. Fairly straight-forward, this recipe certainly doesn’t require any kind of degree in culinary skills.
Warning: you won’t be able to stop at one piece…
Decadent Triple Layer Raw Caramel Slice!
For the base
– 3/4 cup coconut flour
– 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
– ½ cup rolled oats
– 1 TBSP melted coconut oil
– 1 TSP sweet almond or walnut oil (any oil would work)
– ½ TSP ground vanilla beans
– 1 TSP vanilla essence
– ¾ cup cashews (soaked overnight)
– 1 tbsp agave or unrefined, natural sweetener
For the caramel centre
– 1 1/4 cup dates (soaked overnight. Dried apricots would also work.)
– 2 heaped tbsp hulled tahini (un-hulled is fine but it won’t be as sweet)
– 1 heaped tbsp cashew and coconut butter (could use 1 TSP of both butters separately if you don’t have a blend)
– 1 tbsp maple syrup
– ¾ cup walnuts (soaked overnight)
– 1 tsp maca powder
– Optional: (for those with a sweet tooth) 3 tbsp coconut sugar or a very small, brown mashed banana
For the chocolate topping
– Melted vegan dark chocolate (a block or drops would work)
– Chocolate mousse layer (ingredients below)
– 2 heaped tbsp coconut butter or creamed coconut
– 200ml can coconut cream
– 1 tbsp melted cacao butter
– 1 heaped tbsp cacao powder or 2 tbsp cocoa powder
– 2 tbsp agave
– ½ cup smooth almond butter (or any other smooth nut/seed butter)
– 1/3 cup almonds (soaked overnight)
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– Optional: toasted coconut, walnuts or chopped/slivered nuts to garnish atop slice
– 24 hours in advance, soak the nuts and dates in separate bowls for a few hours or ideally overnight, with just enough warm water to cover. When it comes to using them in the method following, drain off any excess water before using.
For the base
– Blend the soaked and drained cashews with the desiccated coconut in a high-speed blender or food processor until a smooth paste forms.
– Combine the rest of the base ingredients with the paste from step 1 in the blender or food processor until mixture is a grainy texture and sticks together when pressed into your hand. (Add more oil or agave if not sticky enough or a bit of extra flour and desiccated coconut if too wet then blend again.)
– In a deep-dish pan or tray, firmly press in the base mixture and spread evenly until smooth.
– OPTIONAL: If you’re not fussed about the slices being raw, you can slowly bake in oven at a low temperature until golden brown or a toasted coconut base. For the raw version, simply leave to set in fridge while you make the other layers.
For the caramel centre
– Blend the soaked dates with the walnuts until smooth in a high-speed blender or food processor.
– Add all the other ingredients for the caramel layer to the food processor and blend until smooth. You could make this have a crunchier texture by adding the walnuts after you make the paste then pulsing until mixed through.
– Taste and add more of any desired flavour/ingredients required.
– Ensure the base has set (and cooled completely if baked) then evenly spread the caramel layer across the top using a spatula.
– Allow the caramel layer to set until firm in the fridge or freezer, make the next layer in the meantime
For the chocolate topping
If using melted vegan dark chocolate:
– Boil water over a stovetop until bubbling. (only fill pot about 1/3 of way up.)
– Put chopped pieces of the chocolate block or chocolate drops into a glass mixing bowl.
– Put the mixing bowl on top of the boiling water in the pot and mix chocolate around until melted.
– Turn heat off and remove glass mixing bowl then using a spatula, scoop out the melted chocolate and evenly spread this over the caramel layer once the caramel layer is firm and completely cooled
– Optional: add some toasted coconut and cover in walnuts/chopped nut pieces before the chocolate sets!
– Allow the chocolate layer to set in the fridge or freezer until firm.
If making a chocolate mousse layer:
– Remove thick coconut cream from the top of the can, leave coconut water that separates at the bottom. (Either drink this or freeze and save for smoothies or baking)
– Put the coconut cream with all other ingredients for the mousse in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until a smooth, thick mousse-like texture forms. (You could add the almonds at the end rather than with the other ingredients and pulse quickly until combined if you want a crunchy chocolate layer.)
– Use a spatula to scoop out the mousse and evenly spread over the caramel layer once the caramel is firm and cooled completely. (If it is too thick for your liking, remove some of the mousse layer and freeze for eating mousse later!)
– Allow the chocolate mousse layer to set in the fridge or freezer until firm.
Enjoy! Try to resist eating it all at once… (It’s difficult!) Slice and serve or store in fridge or freezer, if it lasts that long… ?
Image Credit: Jules
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_social_media_follow _builder_version=”3.0.53″ saved_tabs=”all” link_shape=”circle” url_new_window=”on” follow_button=”on” background_layout=”light” global_module=”4820″] [et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”facebook” skype_action=”call” url=”https://www.facebook.com/livekindlyco/” bg_color=”#3b5998″]
[/et_pb_social_media_follow_network][et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”twitter” skype_action=”call” url=”https://twitter.com/livekindlyco” bg_color=”#00aced”]
[/et_pb_social_media_follow_network][et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”instagram” skype_action=”call” url=”https://www.instagram.com/livekindlyco/” bg_color=”#517fa4″]