You don’t have to break the bank to whip up these vegan snack recipes. These five plant-based snacks are equal parts tasty and inexpensive. Make them to enjoy with your friends and family, or indulge in them all by yourself.
5 Easy Vegan Snack Recipes Under $1
Makes 12-13 small cookies
1 ripe banana
1 cup rolled oats (1/2 cup ground up oats, 1/2 cup whole oats, optional)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons strawberry jam (or any flavor jam)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash banana with a fork.
- Then add rolled oats. (Depending on your texture preference, you can grind up half of these oats in a food processor to make oat flour, but this part is optional. This recipe was tested with 1/2 the oats ground up, and it worked well.)
- Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet and add 1 tablespoon of the mixture for each cookie. (If the mixture is sticky, it helps to wet the spoon with water before each scoop.)
- Flatten the middle of each cookie with the back of the tablespoon to create a small indent.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then scoop 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the indent of each cookie. Enjoy!
|Ingredients (around 12-13 cookies)||Price||Per cookie|
|1 ripe bananas, mashed||$0.16||$0.01|
|1 cup oats (1/2 ground up, optional)||$0.20||$0.02|
|1/4 cup peanut butter||$0.24||$0.02|
|2 tbsp strawberry jam (or any flavour jam)||$0.24||$0.02|
Crispy Potato Pancakes
Makes 4-6 pancakes (or 2 servings)
1 large potato, peeled & chopped into small chunks
1/2 medium white onion, chopped into small chunks
1 red or green chilli, sliced & seeded (optional)
2 green onions, chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons cooking oil, as needed (use plenty)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
1 green onion, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Add potatoes & onion in a food processor or blender and blend until finely ground up.
- Add a strainer on top of a large bowl and place the potato and onion mixture on top to strain the water out. Leave to strain for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the strainer from the bowl and pour the water out of the bowl, leaving the small layer of starch that has collected at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the potato and onion mixture into the bowl and mix with the leftover starch.
- Add in the green onion, if using, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil on a non-stick pan on medium high heat, and add around 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the pan. Flatten with a spatula and cook on one side for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chilli slices on top of each pancake, if desired. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until browned to your desired consistency.
- While the pancakes are cooking, prepare the dipping sauce in a small bowl by mixing together soy sauce, vinegar, green onion (if using), and sesame seeds (if using).
- Serve hot, straight out of the pan!
|Ingredients (2 servings)||Price||Per serving|
|300g potato (1 large)||$1.19||$0.60|
|75g onion (1/2 medium)||$0.40||$0.20|
|2-3 green onions, chopped (optional)||$0.10||$0.05|
|1/4 tsp salt||$0.01||$0.01|
|1-2 tbsp cooking oil (use plenty)||$0.03||$0.02|
|1 tbsp soy sauce||$0.05||$0.03|
|1 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar||$0.01||$0.01|
|1 tsp sesame seeds||$0.07||$0.04|
Makes 2 servings
1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
2 tablespoons vegan buffalo sauce (Frank’s Hot Sauce is recommended), more to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet and add chickpeas.
- Roll the chickpeas around with your fingers to gently remove the skins as much as you can.
- Add oil and toss well.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Take out of the oven and add 2 tablespoons of vegan buffalo sauce. Toss well and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
- Take out and check the flavor. If you want to add more buffalo sauce, add another 1-2 tablespoons at a time, and bake for another 2 minutes. Repeat the process until you get the desired flavor.
|Ingredients (2-3 servings)||Price||Per serving (2)|
|1 can chickpeas||$0.79||$0.40|
|1 tbsp oil||$0.03||$0.02|
|2-3 tbsp vegan buffalo sauce (I used Frank’s Hot Sauce)||$0.24||$0.12|
Makes 2 mini pizzas (1 serving)
1 english muffin
4 tablespoons tomato paste or marinara sauce
2 tablespoons tofu ricotta, or more to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon basil (optional)
1 block firm tofu
3 tablespoons lemon juice (about the juice of 1 lemon)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, basil, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor or a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days and enjoy as a spread, dip, or however you’d like.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of tomato paste on each half of the English muffin.
- Top each muffin half with 1 tablespoon of the tofu ricotta, or more to taste. Flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Top with basil and garlic powder if using, as well as salt. Add any other ingredients you’d like.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
|Ingredients for Tofu Ricotta (10 servings or more)||Price||Per serving|
|1 block firm tofu||$1.58||$0.16|
|Juice of 1 lemon (3 tbsp lemon juice)||$0.07||$0.01|
|1/4 cup nutritional yeast||0.48||$0.05|
|1/2 tsp salt||$0.01||$0.00|
|1 tbsp basil||$0.26||$0.03|
|1 tbsp garlic powder||$0.10||$0.01|
|total for tofu ricotta||$2.50||$0.25|
|Ingredients for 1 serving of Mini Pizza||Price per serving|
|1 English Muffin||$0.26|
|4 tbsp tomato paste||$0.19|
|1 serving of tofu ricotta||$0.25|
|1 tsp basil||$0.09|
|1/2 tsp garlic powder||$0.02|
|salt & pepper to taste||$0.01|
|total cost of 1 serving of Mini Pizza||$0.81|
Chocolate Mug Cake
Makes 1 mug cake
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (neutral in flavor, like canola or sunflower oil), plus more if needed for consistency
3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips, plus more to taste
- Add all purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a microwave safe mug or bowl and mix very well.
- Add in maple syrup or agave nectar, vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 30-40 seconds on high heat.
- Enjoy with a spoon!
|Ingredients (1 serving)||Price|
|3 tbsp all purpose flour||$0.05|
|1.5 tbsp cocoa powder||$0.09|
|1/4 tsp baking powder||$0.01|
|1 tbsp maple syrup (can use other sweetener of your choice)||$0.16|
|2-3 tsp vegetable oil||$0.03|
|3 tbsp non-dairy milk||$0.09|
|1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional – I used artificial)||$0.03|
|1-2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (optional, highly recommended)||$0.16|
LIVEKINDLY is here to help you navigate the growing marketplace of sustainable products that promote a kinder planet. All of our selections are curated by the editorial team. If you buy something we link to on our site, LIVEKINDLY may earn a commission.