What’s better on a cool autumn evening than biting into a warm and savory flatbread? Not much except biting into a warm vegan flatbread topped with vegan cheese and seasonal butternut squash.
This recipe comes courtesy of Follow Your Heart — the vegan mayo, cheese, and egg producer.
The recipe gets a smokiness from shitake bacon, a hint of green from kale, and a tang from Follow Your Heart’s vegan parmesan.
Whip this up for the perfect dinner or serve it a vegan brunch. It won’t disappoint.
Vegan Butternut Squash Flatbread
- 1 premade pizza dough
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 1 cup shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan Shreds
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1 large bunch fresh sage
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Slice the mushrooms. Evenly toss with all the mushroom ingredients and bake in the oven at 250 degrees Farenheit for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a pan over medium/high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook for 1 minutes on high, Let it bubble, then reduce to a simmer will thicken, and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cinnamon, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the butternut squash out in a single layer on one or two baking sheets. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over and toss well to coat. Roast until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through. Remove and set aside.
- Defrost the dough and lay out onto a lightly floured surface. Use your hands or a rolling pin to roll the dough out until you have a thin flattened disk. Place the dough on a greased baking sheet and then use your hands to gently tug, pull and push the pizza dough into your desired shape.
- Coat the dough with olive oil mixture. Add the roasted butternut squash, shredded kale and brussels, and vegan parmesan. Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and dough is slightly browned. Remove from the oven and top with sage, shiitake bacon, cranberries, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
This recipe was republished with permission from Eat Drink Shrink for Follow Your Heart.
Image Source | True Food Kitchen
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!