A vegan twist on the British classic, this vegan wellington will be the star of the show at any dinner this season. Both modern and nostalgic, a myriad of earthy flavors swirl together with their buttery pastry shell and give your guests an experience they’ll never forget.
A Vegan Wellington for Christmas
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Makes 4
4 large red beets (150-200 grams each), with stems, washed
4 cups water
⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
2 shallots (140 grams), finely chopped
½ cup (65 grams) almonds, finely chopped
4 ounces (113 grams) non-dairy ricotta cheese
8 sage leaves, finely chopped
1 package (17.3 ounces, grams) prepared vegan puff pastry sheets (2)
2 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- Separate the beets from the stems, and remove the leaves.
- In a large pot, bring eight cups of salted water to a boil. Cook the beet leaves until flexible, about 30 seconds. Remove and place in a bowl of iced water.
- To the pot, add beets, apple cider vinegar, and bay leaf. Cover and cook until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Drain. Use a clean towel to peel away the skin. Allow to cool in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- While the beets are cooking, prepare the mushroom layer. In a frying pan set over medium heat, add oil, mushrooms, and shallot. Cook until softened and lightly browned, about eight to ten minutes.
- Season your mushroom mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped almonds, non-dairy ricotta, and sage leaves. Mix until combined.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F (200°C).
- Roll each puff pastry sheet into a 12” x 16” rectangle. Cut sheet each in half so you have 4 puff pastry pieces.
- Wrap each beet in two leaves. Divide the mushroom mixture into 4. Use your hands to coat the beet in the mixture, then wrap the beet in a piece of the puff pastry. Trim off any excess dough. Place the vegan wellington seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Decorate with extra dough scraps.
- Brush with dairy-free milk for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is a golden brown.
LIVEKINDLY is here to help you navigate the growing marketplace of sustainable products that promote a kinder planet. All of our selections are curated by the editorial team. If you buy something we link to on our site, LIVEKINDLY may earn a commission.