I thought I’d share my go-to recipe for when I’m fancying a super nourishing dinner – my easy Vegan Falafel Buddha Bowl.
Ever since coming back from Morocco, I’ve really loved using cumin as they add this spice to nearly every dish over there!
Cumin goes so well in both hummus and falafels, too, which makes this Buddha bowl such a North African-inspired feast!
I made my own hummus for this Vegan Falafel Buddha Bowl and I’ve featured the recipe for it on my blog.
I love all the colours in this Vegan Falafel Buddha Bowl and you can be so creative with the different ingredients you choose for yours. You can go for oriental flavours by using soy sauce, ginger, and tofu, or Mediterranean flavours by including basil, vegan pesto, and aubergine. The flavour and ingredient variations are endless!
I love topping this Vegan Falafel Buddha Bowl with some sliced avocado to add some creamy texture, not to mention it is an amazing source of so many nutrients, like good fats and a range of vitamins and minerals that are essential for a healthy body!
Vegan Top Tip 5: Buy a pack of “ripen at home” avocados as these are usually cheaper than the ripened varieties. You can speed up the ripening process by placing the avocados in a paper bag over a couple of days or by putting them next to a banana in the fruit bowl.
Even though the official National Healthy Eating Week has come to an end, it doesn’t mean your healthy diet has to! In fact, it should become a healthy lifestyle, which is far more sustainable than anything short-term, and it has life-long benefits. I will be writing about “how to make a healthy diet a lifestyle” in the near future so make sure to subscribe to get notified once I’ve posted it!
This vegan dish is packed with nutrients
- 2 falafels
- 1/4 can mixed beans, drained
- 1/2 cube vegan stock cube
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 large handful kale
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp vegan pesto - I use Sacla vegan pesto
- 1 tbsp golden hummus, recipe on my blog
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp salsa (optional)
- chopped coriander (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- salt and pepper
- Boil water in a kettle and add to a pan on high heat. Once it bubbles, add the rice and stock cube. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is soft.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a frying pan on medium heat.
- Throw in the chopped onion and stir until slightly translucent. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, mixed beans, and tomato purée.
- Once stirred a few times, add a few tablespoons of water to add moisture.
- Once the water has evaporated in the frying pan, crumble in the falafels and continue to stir until the falafels are heated. Remove the falafel/bean mix and set aside.
- Microwave the kale in a bowl of water until slightly soft, then drain.
- Heat up the pan you were using before and add the kale to get it slightly crispy.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, stir through the vegan pesto.
- Assemble all the components in your favourite bowl and top with your chosen dips, avocado, and optional chopped coriander.
This recipe was republished with permission from Basil & Vogue.