Who knew you can make Buffalo wings out of cauliflower? At first, I didn’t think it was even possible but when I tried them for myself, the flavor of the Buffalo wing sauce made my taste buds think that they were eating Buffalo wings. Of course, the texture of the cauliflower doesn’t match the texture of a chicken wing, but when you look at it in the right angle it looks like mini chicken drumsticks.
I loved eating Buffalo wings with some French fries for dinner. This was not the healthiest dinner combination and it did not help that I would go crazy eating more chicken wings than the recommended serving.
I would make different kinds of flavored wings like BBQ and Italian seasoning but the Buffalo ones were always my favorite. The spiciness of the Buffalo wing sauce actually opened my taste buds to liking spicy foods. I have developed a good tolerance for most spicy food but I know my limit. I won’t eat any sauces with labels that have pictures of flames or characters that are screaming in agony and sweating profusely.
If you want to make the cauliflower wings look more like boneless wings then I recommend cutting off more of the stem and leaving more of the cauliflower head. Another option is to buy the cauliflower already cut up in a bag since those pieces are more round which gives it that boneless look. If you want more of a drumstick look then do not cut off the stem.
If you have kids or know any adults who do not like eating their vegetables, you can make this recipe for them to see if they like it. If they like Buffalo wings then they will definitely like these Buffalo cauliflower wings, and it is a great way to get a serving of vegetables in your daily diet.
Vegan Buffalo wings | image/Rican Vegan
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (almond or soy)
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut the florets off the main stem of the cauliflower so that they resemble drumsticks and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the milk, water, flour, garlic powder, cumin, and salt until it forms a batter.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter, shake off the excess batter and place on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes turning the florets over halfway.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven.
- In another bowl pour the hot sauce and toss the florets in the sauce until each piece is coated in sauce.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
After more vegan chicken in your life? This plant-based parmigiana recipe will satisfy your cravings. The meat is made with cannellini beans, soy sauce, and chicken stock, and the dish is topped with dairy-free cheese.
This recipe was republished with permission from Rican Vegan.