Meaty Vegan Porcini Mushroom and Walnut Pâté Recipe
A simple but sophisticated pâté that highlights the earthiness of fresh and dried mushrooms, complemented by the delicate flavors of thyme and parsley.
Serve with vegetables or crackers, or in a sandwich wrap with whole-grain flatbread.
Vegan Porcini Pate Recipe from the whole foods cookbook
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the walnuts and pine nuts in a small bowl and add water to cover. Let soak for at least 8 hours or up to overnight. Drain and rinse, then transfer to a food processor.
- Put the dried porcini mushrooms and sun-dried tomato halves in a heatproof bowl and add 1 cup
- very hot water. Let soak until soft, about 30 minutes.Pluck the porcinis and tomato halves from the water and transfer them to the food processor with the nuts; reserve the soaking liquid.
- Process the nuts, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and dry sauté, stirring often,
- until it begins to stick to the pan and lightly brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broth and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Stir in creminis and thyme and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid
- evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and stir to deglaze the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Add the onion mixture to the food processor and process until finely chopped. Scrape down the
- sides of the processor then, with the machine running, add just enough of the reserved mushroom-tomato soaking liquid to break the mixture down into a thick paste, 1/4 to 1/2 cup total.
- Pulse in the parsley, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper just until incorporated. Transfer to an
- airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least thirty minutes and up to 3 days.
- Serve garnished with a little parsley.
Excerpted from the book THE WHOLE FOODS COOKBOOK by John Mackey, Alona Pulde, MD and Matthew Lederman, MD. Recipes by The Sarno Brothers of Wicked Healthy Copyright © 2018 by Whole Foods Market IP, LP and Transition to Health, Inc. Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Life & Style. All rights reserved.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!