Chinese or Mexican? Have both. Skip the delivery and make this mashup of two takeout classics – fajitas and stir-fried rice. This meal is super easy to make and comes together quickly, which is perfect for a weeknight meal. You can use store-bought microwaveable rice or any leftover cooked rice you have on hand. I’ve found that stir-fry dishes are great for day-old rice as the cooking liquids reinvigorate the grains, which usually go dry in the fridge. Quick, easy, and cheap, fusion food might just be your new favorite cuisine.
- 1/2 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 courgette cut into strips
- 2 handfuls of frozen spinach
- 1 handful of frozen broccoli
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 packet of rice or 2 tortilla wraps
- 1/2 avocado (optional, to serve)
- Heat a pan on medium heat then add 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add the onion and sautee until translucent, then add the courgette.
- Meanwhile, microwave-steam the broccoli and spinach until almost cooked.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, peppers and kidney beans to the pan and continue to sautee.
- Briefly take the pan off the heat and add roughly 1/4 cup of boiling water, tomato puree, garlic paste and all the seasonings, then return the pan to the heat to allow the water to evaporate.
- Microwave the rice and serve with the avocado and squeeze of lime.
This recipe was republished with permission from Basil and Vogue.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!