Funny story (don’t all good recipes start with those?), I created this recipe in April of 2007 and that’s over a decade ago! Yes, I was still vegan back then, and I had a food blog, but it was under a different and even cheesier name at that point. I created this recipe when I was looking for a simple and easy vegan French toast and couldn’t find anything that worked for me. My secret ingredient is the nutritional yeast added to the batter, which really helps create the rich custard-like taste that truly makes French toast the glorious brunch item it is. I use thickly-sliced French bread but you can use whatever type of bread you want, I just highly recommend you slice it thick to maximize fluffiness. This quick and easy French toast is oil-free, nut-free and uses less than 10 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. It’s nothing fancy, but over 10 years later it’s still totally delicious!
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract (optional)
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Apple Pie Spice or Nutmeg
- 6 Pieces French Bread Sliced 3/4 Inch Thick
- Mix all the ingredients except bread together in a bowl with a whisk.
- Heat skillet to medium-high and lightly coat with melted butter or use a non-stick pan.
- Soak bread in mixture for 3 seconds, with thinner bread you may need less time.
- Brown soaked bread in skillet, flipping as needed.
- Top with fresh fruit, syrup or powdered sugar.
This recipe was republished with permission from Vegan Guide to the Galaxy.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!