You only need ten ingredients to whip up a batch of these delicious-looking Norwegian vegan Christmas cookies. These delectable treats are perfect for you, the kids, and even Santa.
1 stick or 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temp
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour, sifted
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1-2 tbsp unsweetened soy or almond milk
sliced almonds and/or vegan sprinkles
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax seeds and water. Stir and set aside to thicken for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Then add the vegan butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. About 1 to 2 minutes. Add the now thickened flax egg and almond extract, and whisk until well combined and fluffy.
- Then add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated and then add the remaining flour. Mix until a shaggy dough is created and no flour is visible.
- Then with clean hands, massage the dough and press it together to form a ball. Knead the dough (in the bowl is fine) for 1 minute until the dough goes from powdery to soft, pliable, and slightly glossy.
- Divide the dough ball into two pieces, roll into a 6-8 inch long log and press down slightly to flatten the top, but don’t flatten too much. The log should be roughly 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Next, brush lightly with soy milk and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Then remove from the oven and rest for 2 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice into 1/2 inch thick slices, carefully turn the cookies on their side, and bake for another 14-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to continue baking and setting up (via carryover heat from the tray) Then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with hot coffee for a true Scandinavian Christmas treat! Enjoy!