A go-to dinner recipe on lazy, gray days. This dhal is cheap, easy, healthy and flavorful- not to mention full of protein and low in fat, what more could you ask for! It can be enjoyed on its own or with rice, quinoa, poppadoms, or steamed greens.
Protein-Packed One-Pot Red Lentil Dhal
Serves 4 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
– 3 cloves of garlic- minced
– 1 small onion – chopped
– 1-inch piece of ginger- minced
– 1 small red chili pepper- finely chopped (optional)
– 1 tbs coconut oil
– 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1.5 teaspoon curry powder
– 1.5 teaspoon cumin powder
– 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
– 1 400g can of diced tomatoes
– 2 cups washed red lentils
– 6 cups water or vegetable stock
– Chopped coriander
– Plain coconut yogurt
– Cherry Tomatoes
– Heat the oil in a large pot* over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, ginger and chili pepper before cooking for 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add spices and stir well. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
– Add washed and drained lentils, diced tomatoes, and water or stock. Stir before covering to cook over low/medium heat for 30-35 minutes until lentils are soft and the dhal has the consistency of porridge, add more water as necessary.
– Serve topped with a sprinkle of salt, chopped coriander and any sides of your choice.
*If you have a cast iron pot, such as a Le Creuset, this is perfect- however, any large pot will do.
Leftovers can be frozen and enjoyed anytime.