These Spicy Gluten-Free Vegan Cheese and Chipotle Potato Flautas from Follow Your Heart are perfect for weeknight family dinners. Russet potatoes are mashed with a Mexican food–inspired blend of chili powder, paprika, smoky cumin, and Follow Your Heart’s egg-free Chipotle Veganaise for an extra kick. Don’t forget to serve these vegan flautas with a dollop of dairy-free sour cream and guac!
Spicy Gluten-Free Vegan Cheese and Chipotle Potato Flautas
- 1.5 pounds russet potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart Chipotle Vegenaise Gourmet
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Fiesta Blend Shreds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons high heat oil (i.e. safflower)
- 6 corn or gluten-free tortillas
- Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream, for serving (optional)
- Salsa, for serving
- Guacamole, for serving
- In a large, heavy pot, bring heavily salted water to boil. Add potatoes and boil until fork tender, 20-30 minutes. Remove pot from heat, drain potatoes and allow to cool.
- Peel potatoes and return to pot. Bring heat up to medium-high, add in Chipotle Vegenaise, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Using a fork or potato masher, mash and mix potatoes with Vegenaise. Add in Vegan Gourmet Shreds, mix well, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Using a lightly dampened paper towel, heat tortillas in batches of 3 for 10 seconds per tortilla. Spread an even amount of potato mixture on one end of each tortilla and roll. Pierce with a toothpick to keep closed.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pan. Fry flautas in batches of 3, 2 minutes per side. Drain on plate covered in paper towels.
- To serve, slice each flauta on a bias, top with sour cream, if using, and serve with salsa and guacamole.
This recipe was republished with permission from Oscar Mendoza for Follow Your Heart.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!