[et_pb_section bb_built=”1″][et_pb_row][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text]
We are well on our way to BBQ season!
A delicious mix of sweet, spicy, and savoury, this recipe is a flavour and texture lovers dream. Perfect grilled, fried or baked, this recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegan and the flavours are out of this world delicious.
Contrasting warm and cold sensations, along with firm, squidgy and crunchy textures, these BBQ chocolate tofu skewers are perfect for your next get together or for a fun family dinner. Either way, you are going to fall in love with these flavour-filled treats!
Sticky BBQ Chocolate Tofu Skewers
1 Green pepper
1 Yellow pepper
Handful of plum tomatoes
1 Pack of firm organic tofu, drained
For the tofu marinade
2 tbsps Lime juice
2 tbsps Maple syrup
3 tsps Miso (optional)
2 tbsps tamari
2 tsps Paprika
1 tsp Garam masala
For the chocolate BBQ sauce
2 tbsps Coconut oil
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp Tomato puree
85g Coconut sugar
2 tbsp Cacao powder
2 tbsps Maple syrup
2 tbsps Apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Coconut yogurt
1 tbsp Tamari
2 tsp Chilli powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Ground coriander
14 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp Ground paprika
For the BBQ sauce
1. Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat
2. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes. Add the chilli powder, coriander, cayenne pepper and paprika and stir well for 1/2 minute.
3. Add the passata, coconut sugar, tomato puree, cacao powder, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, tamari and salt and pepper. Stir well and cook on a low heat, stirring from time to time until thickened.
4. Turn off the heat and add the coconut cream and stir thoroughly. Then allow to cool
For the tofu
1. Once the tofu has been drained, place onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels (trust me on this otherwise there will be a flood). Cover the tofu with extra paper towels and place on a chopping board. Place heavy items on top – I went for two Harry Potter books and a cookery book. If you have a tofu press, use that! Let it stand for around an hour.
2. Whilst it’s being pressed of all it’s juices, make up the tofu marinade. Mix together the garam masala, lime juice, miso, tamari, maple syrup and paprika in a bowl.
3. Once the tofu is ready (you can tell it’s ready when it bends easily without crumbling), cut into small chunks and arrange in a single layer in a deep baking dish and pour the prepared marinade over the tofu. Cover and let stand at room temperature for approx 1 hour.
4. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Pour half the Chocolate BBQ sauce over the tofu (set aside half for dipping) and bake in the oven for around 20-25 minutes.
5. Chop up the peppers and tomatoes and once the tofu has baked, place them onto skewers and serve with the BBQ sauce!
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_social_media_follow _builder_version=”3.0.53″ saved_tabs=”all” link_shape=”circle” url_new_window=”on” follow_button=”on” background_layout=”light” global_module=”4820″] [et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”facebook” skype_action=”call” url=”https://www.facebook.com/livekindlyco/” bg_color=”#3b5998″]
[/et_pb_social_media_follow_network][et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”twitter” skype_action=”call” url=”https://twitter.com/livekindlyco” bg_color=”#00aced”]
[/et_pb_social_media_follow_network][et_pb_social_media_follow_network social_network=”instagram” skype_action=”call” url=”https://www.instagram.com/livekindlyco/” bg_color=”#517fa4″]