This vegan chocolate cake recipe looks so good you’ll want to skip dinner and go straight to dessert! The layer cake features a delicious-looking strawberry preserve filling and decadent vanilla icing. Enjoy a slice (or two!) with your favorite plant-based milk for a vegan treat you’ll be thinking about long after your last bite.
This Vegan Chocolate Cake Will Take You to Dessert Heaven
Makes 2 9-inch cakes
For the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
2 cups water
For the icing:
2-3 sticks vegan butter
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling (optional): 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
For the topping (optional): 2-3 sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
2. Lightly grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans
3. Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
4. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, and water
5. Mix together until smooth. Do not over-mix.
6. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from cake pans and continue to cool on wire racks.
8. Prepare the icing by beating vegan butter sticks for two to three minutes until pale
9. Mix in salt and vanilla extract to vegan butter
10. Add confectioners sugar one to two tablespoons at a time to build icing. Taste test along the way until you reach the taste you desire. You can add all four cups, or only use two cups. It all depends on the depth of flavor you’re looking for.
11. To ice the cake, place one cooled cake on a plate. Using an icing spatula, add a generous layer of icing on top of cake.
12. Spoon strawberry preserves on top of icing and gently spread
13. Place the second cake on top of first cake. Gently press down until filling reaches the edge of cakes.
14. Using an icing spatula, continue icing cake using short, quick strokes.
15. Garnish with fresh strawberry slices and serve! Cover loosely and refrigerate after serving. Cake will keep for up to one week in the fridge.