This has to be one of my favourite breakfasts, besides vegan waffles and nicecream (of course).
I don’t say that lightly. An avid foodie, I devote most of my time on a day-to-day basis creating food that tastes scrumptious, looks aesthetically beautiful, and inspires others to eat healthy vegan food. So, naturally, I’m regularly trying new foods, different combinations of foods, tasting and recreating over and over until I get the perfect balance. Sure, I could easily pick up a ready-made vegan scramble (JUST egg scramble, I’m looking at you), but for me, creating something from scratch and sharing it with the Internet is empowering, rewarding, and cathartic.
After trialling and erroring, I’ve made a tofu scramble recipe that I’m proud of, that I share with people who stay for breakfast, that I share online to that people across the globe can recreate it – even those who live “in the middle of nowhere.”
But wait – there’s more! I didn’t stop there. A tofu scramble is great on it’s own but phenomenal with other foods that complement it so harmoniously. I pulled out all the stops. Pineapple salsa, you ask? I went there. Bread? No. I’ve gussied up the old bread in favour of sprouted bread. Now we’re talking.
If you don’t like some of the ingredients or additions to this recipe, or maybe you don’t like the combination (I get it, it’s quite a full-on dish, especially for those who aren’t a fan of breakfast), don’t worry. You can simply mix and match with your favorite ingredients, or take out the pineapple salsa recipe, and add it to one of your other favorite dishes.
Because it wouldn’t be true to the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day if not, I ensured this dish is highly nutritious. Start your day off with a healthy feast.
Tofu scramble spread on sprouted bread with seed butter, avocado, salsa, and some greens. What more could you want for breakfast or brunch? A double portion, if you’re brave.
- 1 Packet Extra Firm Sprouted Tofu
- 1/2 Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Chopped Red Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Organic Corn (2.7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 Cup Kale (12 ounces)
- 3 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Tamari
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pineapple
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 Green Onion Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Pink Salt
- Press water out of tofu
- In a bowl, crumble tofu. Add in all seasoning ingredients and combine with hands.
- On medium heat, caramelize onions and red pepper in a skillet.
- Once caramelized, add in tofu and corn and mix well using a wooden fork.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 12 minutes. Mixing occasionally.
- While the tofu is cooking, tear apart kale into small pieces.
- After the 12 minutes, add in kale. Cover with lid and let simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until the kale becomes welted).
- Remove from heat and serve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients
- Add more seasoning if desired
- Toast bread of choice.
- Spread seed or nut butter of choice onto the toast.
- Grab a few spoonfuls of tofu scramble and place on top of seed butter. You can press down on the tofu to ensure that it sticks.
- Top with sliced avocado and pineapple salsa, microgreens, or all of the above!
This recipe was republished with permission from Sugared Coconut.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!