McDonald’s – love it or hate it, we can’t deny its presence. And if you’re anything like UK grime artist JME, (an ex-Big-Mac-a-day kinda guy) you may appreciate a veganized version.
This recipe uses vegan alternatives which can be just as healthy or as unhealthy as you choose – for example, our patties were sourced from The Very Good Butcher here in British Columbia and are created from simple, natural ingredients such as beans and veggies.
Epic Vegan Big Mac
2 sesame seed burger buns
2 vegan patties (we recommend The Very Good Burger if you can get your hands on them)
½ medium white onion, minced
1 iceberg lettuce leaf
2 slices vegan cheese
Dill pickle, thinly sliced
Big Mac sauce
2 tsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tbs gherkin/hamburger relish
2 tsp American mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
– Sauce! Mix all of the Big Mac sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside or refrigerate
– Fry or grill the patties evenly on either side, at a medium heat for approximately 8-10 minutes or until preferred. Leave to rest in the pan as you assemble the buns
– Spread the sauce evenly across the bottom layer of bun #1 then add your favourite vegan cheese (you can break into quarters to get the authentic square shape if your slices come in circles)
– Sprinkle some minced onions on top of the cheese, then top with your first patty
– Add bread layer #2 which is the bottom half of bun #2 (the top part can be kept for another occasion or another burger!)
– On the top of this layer, add more sauce, more onions and a few slices of pickles. If you’re feeling extra peckish, add some more cheese!
– Top with your final patty and crown with a sesame seed bun hat
Best served with iced cola and skinny fries
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!