A bangin’ vegan breakfast burrito is what weekend breakfasts were made for.
We noticed breakfast burritos at the Breakfast Club in London for the first time a few years ago and have loved them ever since. That was back before we went vegan, so we had to create our own cruelty-free version.
This breakfast burrito brings together aromatic Mexican spices, with our classic tofu scramble along with coriander lime rice and, of course, a generous helping of mashed avocado.
Bangin' Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 4 wholewheat wraps (or your favourite type of wrap)
- 2 avocados, mashed
For the rice:
- 150 grams brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- For the beans:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
For the beans:
- 400 grams tin black beans, drained
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 250 grams fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Salt to season
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for frying (optional - dry frying is fine if your pan is non-stick)
For the scrambled tofu:
- 300 grams silken tofu, pressed to release excess moisture
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Extra chili and coriander, to taste
Put the rice on to cook – it should take around 30 minutes. Follow package instructions.
While the rice cooks, add the oil to a frying pan (if using) then cook off the onions until translucent, then add the red chili.
Add the garlic for a minute or two (careful it doesn't burn).
Once the onions and garlic are fragrant, pour in the black beans.
Add the spices and tomato puree.
Mix it all up and add the chopped tomatoes, and again stir up well, let this cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Now, time to make the scrambled tofu. Put all the ingredients in a small pan and heat through gently, stirring continuously.
Once the rice is done, drain and stir the coriander and lime juice through.
- Now, time to build the breakfast burrito. Starting with the rice, layer everything in the wrap.
There's an art to folding the perfect wrap – make sure the ingredients are layered nearer to one edge than in the middle. So, layer the rice, beans, then scrambled tofu and finally, the avocado. Add the optional ingredients if you're using them.
To wrap the burrito, fold the edge closest to you over the filling first, then the sides, and then fold over the bigger side.
- Done – bangin' breakfast burritos!
This recipe was republished with permission from Vegan Punks.