My favourite seitan recipe to-date: savoury, moist, easy to slice & TASTY! Kids, DO try this at home! When you make it yourself, you always know what’s going into your food, and subsequently, what’s going into your body and feeding your cells. Nourish yourself from the inside out.
This vegan meat resembles more of a “chicken-style” protein. You can cut it into chunks, cutlets, or thin slices. Versatile much?
Ok. Enough chatter. Let’s get to the good stuff: the recipe!
How to Make Vegan ‘Wheat Meat' Chicken-Style Seitan
- (all spices are optional / replaceable, have fun with it!)
- 3 cups cold salted vegetable or miso broth
- 1/4 cup neutral light oil (canola, olive, or grapeseed
- will do)
- 3 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup chana/chickpea/garbanzo flour (this really helps with texture)
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons caraway
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- aluminium foil
- large steamer
- Combine all dry ingredients in a big bowl, mix thoroughly. Add broth and oil, and mix together until there is no dry material visible.
- Now KNEAD. Knead that dough for about 5 minutes straight. Then, let rest for a good 10 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, give it another knead, for about another minute.
- Cut dough into four, roll into sausage-like rolls with a generous amount of aluminium foil (the dough will swell). Twist the ends like a candy wrapper, but loosely.
- Steam for 50 minutes – 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerator over night. Now EAT!
Image Credit: Wiki Commons
This recipe is republished with permission from Nikki Hurst, RHN.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!