This is our sweet potato tortilla – a simple and healthier version of the egg-filled original.
In the UK this dish is called a Spanish Omelette so it can be a bit confusing when you’re looking online to find a great vegan alternative, but you’ve come to the right place, this sweet potato tortilla is the only recipe you need!
This recipe is similar to our Vegan Frittata as it uses chickpea flour, baking powder and water to create the egg mixture replacement, but we’ve mixed it up to get some healthy nutrients in from sweet potato and spinach – Popeye would approve!
Top tip – let the tortilla stand for 15-20 minutes after you take it out of the oven. This will make sure it doesn’t fall apart when you take it out of the springform tin.
vegan sweet potato tortilla
- 2 red peppers - chopped into 2 centimetre pieces
- 500 grams sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into 2 centimetre pieces
- 120 grams spinach
- 4 garlic cloves - crushed
- 2 cups chickpea/gram flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2.5 cups water
- Olive oil (for brushing the spring form tin and frying the vegetables)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200c.
- Chop all the vegetables and add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan or wok, then gently heat
- Let the oil heat up then pop the potatoes into the pan. The sweet potatoes will take longer to cook than the vegetables – roughly 10 minutes. Test the potatoes by putting a fork into them, once they've started to soften slightly it's time to add the red peppers.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more. Careful that the heat isn't up too high as the garlic will burn very easily.
- Then add the spinach to the pan and allow it to wilt, then season with lots of salt and pepper.
- Drain any excess liquid from the pan (from the spinach).
- Set the vegetables aside and now make the batter.
- In a big bowl, add the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder and water
- Whisk everything up (a hand whisk or electric will work fine) and make sure there's no lumps. The batter will be quite thin – that's how it's supposed to be.
- Grease a 20cm spring form dish with olive oil and place the vegetables in it.
- Pour the batter over the vegetables (making sure the spring form is locked in place!)
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven). Use a knife or a skewer to check if it's done after 30 minutes. Press the knife/skewer into the middle and if it comes out clean you'll know it's done.
- Let the tortilla stand for 15-20 minutes before removing from the tin, to make sure it's set
- You've got yourself an awesome sweet potato tortilla!
This recipe was republished with permission from Vegan Punks.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!