One of my followers from New York challenged me to come up with a vegan version of Taco Bell’s Naked Chicken Chalupa. The wrap is breaded and filled with chicken, creamy avocado ranch dressing, lettuce, tomato, and grated cheese.
I headed straight for the kitchen and a few hours later I have passed my mission. I’ve never been to Taco Bell or eaten the Chalupa so I hope this version will meet any new vegans needs. It’s packed full of protein and I used wholemeal breadcrumbs to make it as healthy as possible. I really hope you enjoy making and eating this recipe. I most certainly will be making it again and trying it out on my vegan friends and family.
For the ranch dressing:
- ½ an avocado
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Season with sea salt and black pepper
- fresh/dried parsley
- 2-3 tablespoon almond milk (blended in a food processor)
- In a large mixing bowl add the vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, yeast, onion, garlic, turmeric, salt, pepper, paprika, and ginger and whisk/mix together.
- Add the water, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Use your hands and kneed on a floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut into 3 portions and roll out into a circle 7"/8" diameter.
- Triple wrap in cling film and place in simmering stock for half an hour, turning once.
- Carefully remove from heat and unwrap the seitan.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then coat in plant milk and cover in breadcrumbs.
- Fry on a medium to high heat for a total of 8 minutes turning every couple of minutes.
- Place a napkin on a plate then lay the wrap on top.
- Add the ranch dressing, salad and cheese then wrap the napkin around to hold it together.
This recipe was republished with permission from Aaron Calder Vegan.