This strawberry pie is impossible to resist. It’s beautiful to look at and delicious to eat. Our homemade strawberry jam gives it a bright red color and a delicious strawberry flavor. It’s easy to make, fragrant, sweet, aromatic, and fruity. And best of all, it’s completely vegan. Taste it! You won’t believe it.
This strawberry pie recipe is basically a classic Italian crostata that is very easy to do and is made without eggs, without butter, without milk, and without any animal-based ingredients. Yes, this is a 100% vegan strawberry pie that is much healthier than the traditional recipe, but still completely delicious!
The base is made with a simple vegan shortcrust pastry. It’s fragrant, light, aromatic, and made with a few simple ingredients. For the filling, we used our homemade strawberry jam, but you can totally use your favorite homemade or store-bought jam. We love the combination of the bright red of the jam with the golden shortcrust pastry. The result is a pie that everyone will absolutely fall in love with. Keep in mind, for this recipe, you will need a rolling pin and a pie dish with a removable base. Here’s a break down of the recipe’s ingredients:
For pies, we recommend all-purpose flour. Is less refined than cake flour and it is light enough. If you’d like a healthier pie you can go for semi-wholegrain flour, but your pie will be heavier. We use unrefined sugar, but any sugar will work here. Sunflower and coconut vegetable oils will replace the butter of the original shortcrust pastry. While still fat, they are a lot healthier than butter and eggs. Try to use a mix between sunflower oil and coconut oil. If you want a neutral flavor, go for refined sunflower oil and refined coconut oil.
Using very cold water in this recipe is the perfect substitute for milk. Use orange zest to add some aroma to the base. Lemon and lime work too. Citrus enhances the strawberry flavor. We recommend organic since you will eat the zest. You can use any vanilla extract. It goes well with the strawberry flavor. Baking powder will help make the pie fragrant. And we like to make our own homemade strawberry jam. It’s super easy to make. You can use any other jam, homemade or store-bought. Just make sure it’s not too runny.
This Vegan Strawberry Pie Tastes Just Like Summer
- 4 cups all purpose flour (500 grams)
- 1.25 cups sugar (250 grams)
- 0.5 cup sunflower oil (100 grams)
- 0.25 cup refined coconut oil (40 grams)
- 0.5 cup cold water (125 grams)
- 0.5 orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 grams)
- 3 tsp baking powder (12 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1.5 cups strawberry jam (500 grams)
- In a bowl, add orange zest, vanilla extract, sunflower oil, coconut oil, water, salt, sugar, and stir well.
- Add the flour and the baking powder all at once and mix with a spoon.
- When the dough comes together, mix a few more times with your hands until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a bowl.
- Wrap in foil and let rest in the fridge for a an hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes. This is a very important step as the dough needs to cool down or else it will be very hard to roll.
- Prep the pie dish by greasing it with some oil. We use a ten inch (24 cm) pie dish. Nine inch is easier if it's your first pie.
- Then dust it with a few sprinkles of flour. This will make it easier to remove the cake once baked.
- Take 3/4 of the dough, shape it into a ball, then start flattening it, first with your hands, then with the help of a rolling pin. Make it 1/8 of an inch thick (4mm). Also, make sure you sprinkle your rolling pin and your work table with some flour. You need to work fast here as you want to keep the dough as cold as possible so that it's easier to move.
- Place your hands under the rolled dough, and with a swift movement, move it over the pie dish. You can also roll the dough around the rolling pin to move it around.
- Make sure the dough covers the whole dish and fits in it tightly.
- With a fork, make some whole into the base of the pie.
- Pour your homemade strawberry jam into the dish and spread it around evenly with a spoon. See our recipe. If you are using store bough jam, then pour it into a bowl first, and stir it around to make sure is smooth.
- Take the rest of the dough (you should have save 1/4) and roll it flat in a rectangular shape on your table. Make sure your dough is cold. Then with a sharp knife, cut nine stripes, 1/2 inch wide (1 to 1.5 cm thick).
- Position the first four stripes on the pie at equal distance from each other.
- Then position the other three or four stripes on top of the others diagonally.
- Now seal the pie by pressing with your fingers where the stripes meet the edge of the pie.
- Done! Now, let the pie cool down in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking it. In the meantime preheat the oven at 360˚F (180˚C).
- Bake for about 30 min. The pie is ready when slightly golden on top.
- Let the pie cool down completely before cutting it and eating it. The next day will be even yummier!
Did you enjoy this vegan strawberry pie recipe? Then try your hand at making this vegan and gluten-free key lime pie with a nutty crust.
This recipe was republished with permission from The Plant-Based School.