I am a creature of habit. I don’t mind eating the same exact thing four to five days in a row.
This quick vegan breakfast bowl takes me less than 5 minutes to throw together in the morning (maybe that’s why I like it so much). It’s not made using any special ingredients — just everyday foods, like sweet potato, raisins, nut butter, blueberries, and a sprinkling of nuts and seeds.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 banana (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen organic blueberries
- 2 tablespoons your any nut on hand (I used raw pecans)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Typically at the beginning of the week, I will roast 3-4 sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Once its cooked throughout, I just store the sweet potato in a glass container in the fridge. Every morning, I will just take out one sweet potato, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds and begin to assemble my bowl (heating is totally optional but I like it a little hot).
- Add the sliced banana, blueberries, nuts, hemp seeds, raisins and almond butter to your sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
In addition to the recipe, I always love sharing some benefits of the nutrients inside these foods for all of you, that way you know exactly what is happening inside your beautiful body when you eat this meal!
Bananas: High in potassium, so it enables nutrients to move into the cells, and waste to move out of the cells in your body. It, therefore, relaxes muscles and helps the secretion of insulin for blood sugar control to produce energy!
Sweet Potato: Contains vitamin A, which is effective for healthy skin inside and out and protects against infections. It’s a superior source of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. According to World’s Healthiest Foods, studies have shown that sweet potatoes raise the blood’s vitamin A levels. They are also high in vitamin C.
Blueberries: Contains soluble fiber, which helps lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. They are also high in antioxidants, which help protect against free radicals. Studies suggest that blueberries may even lower blood pressure, help prevent heart attack, and improve memory.
Raisins: Contain a high amount of antioxidants to help boost your immune system, increase resistance to infection, and reduce inflammation in arthritis.
Hemp Seeds: Help with PMS symptoms (ie. bloating, tiredness, irritability, depression, breast tenderness, headaches). Hemp seeds are also a plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acid, which has been shown to improve mental health, eyesight, lower the risk of heart attack, reduce inflammation, and promote healthy brain functioning.
Almond Butter: Contains calcium, which promotes healthy heart, bone health, healthy nerves, and contracts muscles. It also helps ensures that blood clots normally.
Cinnamon: It has anti-fungicidal and anti-tumor activities.
This recipe was republished with permission from Jazz Recipes 4 Health.